The Communities of the North Santiam School District
With Mt. Jefferson as a backdrop, the area offers beautiful views of lush green fields, evergreen forests, and the North Santiam River winding through the District on its way to joining the Willamette River.
Stayton is the largest community in the District with a population of 7,500 residents and serves as the commercial and cultural center for the surrounding areas. The community is located on the western low foothills of the Oregon Cascades amid gently rolling hills. The land is well suited for agriculture. Stayton is approximately 15 miles southeast of Salem. Stayton High School, Stayton Intermediate/Middle School, and Stayton Elementary School are all located in the city of Stayton.
Sublimity is a rural, residential community 2 miles north of Stayton with a population of 2890. Residents of Sublimity are served by Sublimity School grades K-8 and Stayton HS grades 9-12.
Lyons is a small town nestled in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains 10 miles east of Stayton, along Highway 22. Lyons has a population of 1,165. Mari-Linn school serving grades K-8 is located in Lyons. Students attend Stayton HS.
Mehama is also a small town east of Stayton, along highway 22 about a mile north of Lyons. Mari-Linn school serves the students and families of Mehama for grades K-8 and students attend Stayton HS grades 9-12.
Local Activities available throughout the District communities:
- Hiking galore! Hike to the waterfalls at Silver Falls State Park, explore the historic Opal Creek trails or choose from the hundreds of other trails nearby
- Tee off at our local golf courses
- Soak in the Hot Springs at Breitenbush
- Fish in one of the many locations along our beautiful streams and lakes
- Seasonal snow and watersport activities include skiing, snowshoeing, boating, kayaking, canoeing and standup paddleboard
- Stayton and Lyons public libraries
- Parks with tennis, basketball, disc golf, and playground facilities
- Swimming pool (indoor)
- Movie theater
- Bicycle path between Stayton and Sublimity
- Easy access to Santiam River
- Proximity to recreational, sports, arts, and many other attractions from Stayton: Salem (14 miles), Pacific coast (75 miles), Bend Oregon (117 miles), and Portland (50 miles)
SUMMER CAMPS SPONSORED BY NSSD ATHLETICS
This section contains local community flyers that have been submitted to NSSD for posting. These events are generally related to kids, learning and community engagement.
For more information about what's happening for all ages around the community, we recommend the Stayton/Sublimity Chamber of Commerce Events Calendar