NSSD 2019-2022 Goals
The NSSD Board reviews and updates the District and Board Goals every three years. In addition, they review strategies annually that the Board may participate in to help achieve the goals. The Superintendent and Leadership Team also finalize their yearly goals each August. Click here 2018-19 Leadership Team Goals to view them.
We change kids' lives through a commitment to excellence, integrity, equity and community engagement.
Ensure students reach their highest academic and vocational potential and develop into productive citizens.
Do what is best for all kids
- Ensure that each student has the opportunity to achieve excellence through measurable progress and personal growth each year
- Provide sustainable, quality facilities and promote positive school climates
- Promote student and staff involvement in the community and involve the community in our schools
- Recruit, develop, value, and retain high-quality staff
- Offer the most comprehensive program possible for students and the appropriate staffing to support our commitment to doing what is best for all kids
- Celebrate the successes of the district & community
- Routinely monitor the effectiveness of district programs and services in order to better serve all kids
- Build and sustain dynamic relationships with stakeholders of the district through proactive communication exchanges
2019-2020 Board Strategies for Reaching Goals
The primary duties of the Board are planning, policy-making, budget, monitoring, and public relations. The management of the District and individual schools is the responsibility of the Leadership Team, led by the Superintendent and those to whom he delegates authority to (both indirectly and directly).
In preparing the Board Goals, a comprehensive program was defined as including academics and the common core, with a high level of career and college prep opportunities, science, technology, engineering, the arts and an excellent and diverse co-curricular program with opportunities to engage a wide variety of student interests.
Equity in the North Santiam School District will not be confused with equality where all students are treated the same. Equity will be attained when the achievements of our historically underserved students match the outcomes of students in the prevalent population, when at-risk groups increase in capacity and influence and when barriers to student success have been mitigated or eliminated.
Goal #1: Offer the most comprehensive program possible for students and the appropriate staffing to support our commitment to doing what is best for all kids
- Support, through policy and resources, district efforts to ensure all students are on track to progress academically, culminating in graduation.
- Support, through staffing and resources, district efforts to provide the most comprehensive programs and facilities possible.
- Provide budgetary and policy support to continue to update curriculum and expand the use of technology in the classroom with a constant target to have a general fund reserve amount equaling 7% of the total budget.
Goal #2: Celebrate the Successes of the District and Community
- Support the use of resources, staff or budget, for the celebration of the successes of students, staff and alumni.
- Seek opportunities to communicate about District, student and staff successes.
- Recognize the activities and accomplishments of students, staff and community partnerships at regular board meetings.
- Investigate and encourage the application for professional awards sponsored by outside agencies for district staff.
- Support a process to present annual awards from the district to staff at all levels.
Goal #3: Routinely monitor the effectiveness of District programs and services in order to better serve all kids
- Regularly review academic and behavioral data in order to consider the need for additional budgetary support.
- Regular reports and presentations from District staff/administration.
- Periodic presentations from students on the effectiveness of programs, services and/or activities.
- Actively seek input from parents and other stakeholders on the effectiveness of programs, services and/or activities.
- Regularly review the progress of goals and strategies at board meetings.
- Ensure a high level of student engagement in co-curricular activities by monitoring student group data for equitable participation.
- Provide budgetary support for a district-wide survey of stakeholders (staff, students, parents, community members) regarding school culture and leadership to consider policy adjustments in support of safe and optimal learning environments.
- Review policies and procedures to ensure all students have equitable access to every program sponsored by the District.
- Expect and support HR practices that foster transparency in hiring and retaining high-quality staff for all aspects of district programs.
Goal #4: Build and sustain dynamic relationships with stakeholders of the District through proactive communication exchanges
- Regularly review information on the broad effectiveness of communications using technology and/or social media.
- Expect, support and resource effective methods to provide all stakeholders and other interested parties with timely information about district programs, students, activities and staff.
- Seek and listen to the opinions of stakeholders regarding policy updates.
- Seek professional development to increase knowledge and skills regarding effective board governance including, but not limited to, community engagement, equity and excellence in education.