State standards articulate what students should know and be able to do in each content area. Teachers in Oregon have aligned their instruction to state standards since the early 1990s. The Oregon Department of Education has been involved with the Common Core State Standards initiative since 2009. In 2011, the North Santiam School District began the work of aligning curriculum and instruction to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). Teachers have worked in Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) during delayed start Mondays as they studied and re-designed their instruction to these new end-of-year learning outcomes for students.
Resources available about Common Core
- Three Minute Video Explaining the Common Core State Standards
- Why the Common Core?
- What do the Common Core State Standards mean for my student?
- What Do Parents Need To Know?
- Frequently Asked Questions about CCSS
- Parent's Backpack Guide to CCSS (K-5)
- What Parents Can Do to Help their Children Learn
Common Core Timeline